Home Energy Audits
The Member Services staff receives phone calls many times per week from consumer members with questions about their energy consumption. Most of the time, the questions revolve around an increase in kilowatt usage shown on the meter of a member's home or business. A sudden increase in electricity usage leaves some people puzzled.
Is the meter broken or defective? More than likely, the meter is functioning properly. Therefore, it becomes a question of what is causing an increased kilowatt "load" on the system which translates to a higher than expected electricity usage bill for the Cooperative consumer member.
--------Ask Yourself These 7 Questions--------
1. Are you using electric space heaters that you don't normally use year-round?
2. Are you using window air conditioners that you don't normally use year-round?
3. Have you recently added an electrical item such as an engine block heater, a hot tub, a dehumidifier, or a car battery charger?
4. Are there noticeable air drafts around windows or doors, causing warm air or cool air to escape?
5. Have you increased the size of your living space (ie: added a room or addition)?
6. Have you added more appliances to your load, such as additional freezers, or refrigerators?
7. Have you added more people living in the residence, which would increase water heater usage, etc?
Most questions about energy usage can be answered by looking at daily or hourly usage data on "SMART HUB" which is available for FREE to each member. You can look at your usage data at anytime and also pay your bill online with SMART HUB. For more information about it, or to get signed up for "Smart Hub" just CLICK HERE.
If you would like to have a BLOWER DOOR TEST done at your home, call us at 842-2196. A Blower Door Test is a special fan device hooked up in your home to change the pressure inside your building envelope, thereby exposing the air leaks in your home. They are available for just $25. For more information about a Blower Door Test--CLICK HERE
If you have answered the questions above, and you still cannot determine the reason for your energy usage increase, WWCEC offers assistance in oure office. A representative can look at your usage by the day and the hour along with outside temperatures overlayed, to try and help you see how you are using your electricity. If the questions can't be answered by looking at "SMART HUB" usage data, we can come out to your home or business and examine your meter and take outside load measurements (pictured below) with a hand-held Fluke meter. We can also check your distribution box inside your structure (pictured below) to see if anything is unusual. If there is a problem with the Cooperative equipment or system, we certainly want to take care of it as promptly as possible. However, our experience has shown us that most of the time, an increase in electricity usage is directly associated with changes in lifestyle, changes in weather, or reasons outlined in the questions above.
You can also do your own energy audit by utilizing the convenient tool below. Just click on the "Home Energy Saver" Banner and input the data for your home.